11 September 2011

Huaraz

A couple weeks ago we had a four day weekend so nine of my coworkers and I took advantage of the opportunity to travel a bit.  We went to a town in the Andean foothills called, Huaraz.  The town is at about 3,000 meters (10,000 feet) and takes about a ten hour bus ride from Lima to get there, which we did through the night.  The busses are actually quite comfortable with reclining seats that are about as cushy as a first or business class airplane seat. 
My roommates, Megan and Debbie, on the bus. (pic from Megan)

Once there, we spent the first day getting situated in the hostel, being lazy, adjusting to the altitude (Lima is basically at sea level), and scouting out what might be fun to do over the next couple days.  I had some fun buying a couple knit hats and trying to get some thread for some mending I needed to do to a pair of my pants.  The thread shop had a live owl hanging out in the corner of the shop.  Surprised the heck out of me when it moved!  While exploring the local market I discovered some live chickens sitting in a mesh bag waiting to be made into lunch and dinner, along with some live cuy (guinea pig).  It was fascinating to see some of the frozen limonada stands and I even found an authentic, all the way from Switzerland, “Syngenta” jacket.  I have a friend that works there :)
Fresh meat for your enjoyment :) (pic from Yvonne)
This is a beautiful sight! (pic from Yvonne)
The town cathedral with the hils in the background. (pic from Yvonne)

The second day we took a four hour, bumpy, bus ride from Huaraz to the ancient ruins of the Chavin people.  Supposedly these people used the water of the river from the mountain to create sounds like a puma and whatnot to scare the people, so the priests would have the power.  The priests also ate this cactus flower that acted as a hallucinogen so they could see better in the dark passageways underneath the temple.  Wink wink.  The guide kept trying to tell us the cactus flower wasn’t a drug.  We weren’t convinced, especially after him telling us about the visions they had and so on. 
The plains we had to drive through to get to Chavin. (pic from Megan)
A lake we found along the way to Chavin.  Probably my favorite place of the trip. (pic from Megan)

This was also the day that I went the highest I’ve ever been in the world- 4,500 meters (14,800 feet)!  The second highest I’ve ever been was in Quito at 4,050 meters (13,200 feet) and the third is at the Jungfraujoch at a mere 3,400 meters (11,300 feet).
Us jumping at the highest part of the pass.  We saw Jesus just after this. (pic from Megan)

The last day we had was spent in a bus again, equally as bumpy.  But, we got to go see a gloriously green glacial lake high in the Andes!  It was truly an experience!  We also made an impromptu stop by a lodge that the school might use later in the year and met a very interesting man and his two Norwegian Ridgeback dogs.  He is against society.  The view from his land is breathtaking and an extra special surprise from God.  By the end though, I was ready to never bounce again and was pretty sure some of my insides had been rearranged.  The time and experience I got to share with the other girls was treasured and I am blessed to have those memories.
Taking a moment to reflect. (pic from Megan)
Claire and I enjoying some flat bread made by a mountain woman in a cast iron skillet on a wood fire.  It was delish! (pic from Megan)
One of the most beautiful types of trees I've seen!  The red bark is paper thin and peels from the tree. (pic from Megan)
Anti-society, his two dogs, Amy laughing, and me enjoying his serene hammock. (pic from yvonne)
The surprise breathtaking view.  We all gasped when we got out of the van. (pic from Megan)

1 comment:

  1. Just now seeing this post! Friend, I wish we could explore some other country together!

    p.s. yay for cast iron skillets, helps with the Iron-deficiency anemia. :)

    ReplyDelete